Image Map

Friday, October 10, 2014

Making Pillows The Easy Way

There is a very easy way to make pillow covers. If I can do it, then you can! I used to make pillows by making permanent covers. Well, I ran out of space to store those pillows. Pillows here, pillows there, pillows everywhere! In the garage. In the closets. On every bed.

I finally got wise desperate and decided that a pillow cover is easier to store. Fold. Place in a drawer. Done.

Now I knew I couldn't go the zipper sewing route. No way! A few months ago I bought a couple of pillow covers at Hobby Lobby during their 50% off weeks. Loved those but that limited me to what they had in mind for decor.

Google to my rescue.  I read this link. One rectangle per pillow. Iron the ends. Sew the ends. Fold. Sew the sides. Turn right side out and stuff that pillow form inside. My kind of work!


Step one was easy since I actually iron frequently. I folded the ends and ironed so the sewing would look neat. 


Step two was sewing the end seams.



I wanted to make sure that the design of the fabric was centered when I finished. By using this one long rectangle it gave me the opportunity to work with the "envelope" by folding where I desired. If I had used a separate piece for the front, it would have had some fabric waste. This method used 18" of the width of the fabric.
As I folded it for the final seams I worked with it by shifting where each fold would be. I turned it over to check that the pillow front would be centered and show the design.


Ready now! I did sew all three sides. That produced a finished look.

 All centered to suit my OCD.





I like the way the gray in the pillows picks up the gray in the area rug and the drapes. Score!



Fabric: Hobby Lobby 40% off   $10
Solid pillows: Hobby Lobby 50% off ($3.50 each)







post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment